Instrumental Tuition (click here).
“I would teach children music, physics and philosophy; but most importantly music, for in the patterns of music and all the arts are the keys of learning.” Plato
Music is with us throughout our lives. It is an essential part of who we are. It has the ability to cross cultural and social boundaries. The curricular and extra curricular provision at Huntington provides an experience that enriches student’ understanding and appreciation of music and helps them develop both as individuals and as members of a community. The Music department at Huntington seeks to celebrate the diverse ways that people engage with, and develop through music.
Being a musician develops all of our essential life skills from interpersonal communication to project management. It is enormously challenging but at the same time enormously rewarding. Former students come back to Huntington and not only tell us how memorable their time was in Music, but want to support us in providing that same experience for the next generation.
What do we provided students with?
- high quality classroom teaching and learning
- high quality accommodation including practice rooms and a recording studio
- a wide range of extracurricular activities
- performance occasions both formal and informal in school and in the wider community
- the opportunity to work with students across the whole school age range
- the opportunity to lead, direct, audition and coach other students
- a voice: not just for singing, but a chance to shape and host future Music events
- the opportunity to learn an instrument with a visiting specialist
Extra Curricular Programme 2013-2014
|Monday||VI form exam work / ensembles|
|Monday||GCSE controlled hours|
|Wednesday||KS3 Jazz Improvisation / Jazz Bands|
|Thursday||Senior Jazz & Swing Band|
|Friday||String Quartets & String Ensemble|
|Mon-Fri (Week B)||GCSE / A Level Performance Coaching (book in advance)|
|Mon-Fri||A Level Studio Recording (book in advance)|
|Mon-Fri||Individual Band Rehearsals (book in advance)|
Instrumental and Vocal Tuition
Huntington currently hosts 8 visiting instrumental and teachers during the school day. Lesson currently on offer: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, string (jazz) and electric bass, drum kit, keyboard, piano, violin, viola, cello, double bass, trumpet, trombone, tuba, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon. If you have a request for something else please do not hesitate to ask. If you haven’t received a flyer via your primary school or the Huntington School’s Open Evening you can contact the Music team via the school website and we will put you in touch with the relevant teacher.