Instrumental Tuition (click here).
Music is an essential part of who we are. It has the ability to cross cultural and social boundaries and to transform lives. The Music department at Huntington seeks to celebrate the diverse ways that people engage with Music, and nurture the musician in everyone.
Being a musician develops all of our essential life skills from interpersonal communication to project management. It is enormously challenging but at the same time enormously rewarding. Former students come back to Huntington and not only tell us how memorable their time was in Music, but want to support us in providing that same experience for the next generation.
What types of activities do we provide students with?
• Composition and improvisation - individual and group
• Performance - individual and group
• Listening exercises to test organization, skill, memory
• Listening experiences to stimulate free writing and discussion
• Time constrained writing and composing to a brief
• Interviewing and reflective reviewing
• Memory extension, perception, trust exercises
• Verbal and written analysis – stating the facts, suggesting improvements
What essential musical skills do KS3 students learn in Music?
In Music students learn how to:
• develop musical ideas
• use and understand harmony
• recognise and use musical elements
• recognise and use musical devices
• read and write different forms of musical notation
• record, save, edit and amend using music technology
• perform, compose, improvise and memorise music
• develop a musical vocabulary, and learn how to write and talk about music both analytically and creatively
• recognise some of the differences and similarities between musical styles
• analyse live performances as part of class work
For course details on GCSE Music, A level Music and A level Music Technology please see relevant open evening documentation.
Extra Curricular Programme 2014-2015
|Monday||GCSE Composition clinic|
|Monday||VI form exam work /ensembles|
|Monday||GCSE ensembles and sequencing|
|Tuesday||GCSE Composition clinic|
|Tuesday||P6 coursework support|
|Wednesday||KS3 Jazz bands… up to grade 4|
|Thursday||Swing band (grade 4 plus)|
|Thursday||Secret Choir (sshhhh…….)|
|Friday||Mixed ensembles coaching|
|Monday to Friday||Studio recording (exam courses only)|
|Monday to Friday||Band rehearsals (book in advance)|
• Barbican performance in December
• Chamber concerts in November and February
• Live Lounge in March
• Primary school tour in June
• Summer Show in July
What life skills do we equip students with?
• How to work collaboratively and constructively with others
• How to lead, plan and deliver within time constraints
• How to make the most of our natural creativity and take the initiative to shape ideas
• How to be spontaneous, take risks and cope with change
• How to organise time, be independent, self-manage, persevere
• How to improve self-confidence and believe in your own decisions
• How to use ICT for creative and sophisticated musical ends
• How to develop ideas and use evaluation to produce a polished end product
• How to listen critically and analytically
• How to memorise and use non-verbal and non-visual forms of communication
• How to celebrate cultural diversity and challenge.