Physical Education

Physical Education

Department staff:

Mr M D Hunt Subject Leader

Mrs S L Fisher: Assistant Subject Leader

Mr T M Paley: House Tutor Lead Wilberforce

Mr N I Currie

Mrs A C Skaith

Ms N Elliott

Mr S A Daniel: School Sports Co-ordinator

Mrs S Pycroft: Specialist Departmental Teaching Assistant

Mrs J Asson: PE Departmental Assistant

Key Stage 3: Physical Education

Overview of the course

In Physical Education the aim is for all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities. It will provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed departmental values such as courage and discipline.

What will I learn?

Pupils will learn how to:

  • Use a range of tactics and strategies to overcome opponents in direct competition through team and individual games [for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders, rugby and tennis]
  • Develop technique and improve their performance in other competitive sports [for example, athletics and gymnastics]
  • Perform dances using advanced dance techniques within a range of dance styles and forms
  • Take part in outdoor and adventurous activities which present intellectual and physical challenges and be encouraged to work in a team, building on trust and developing skills to solve problems, either individually or as a group
  • Analyse their performances compared to previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best
  • They will also be encouraged to take part in competitive sports and activities outside school through community links or sports clubs.

What will I do?

A typical Key Stage 3 year in PE is outlined below:

Key Stage 4: Physical Education

GCSE Physical Education Legacy Course (up to July 2016)

Course Overview

Students will develop knowledge and understanding of the key body systems and how they impact on health, fitness and performance in physical activity and sport.

Assessment Details

You will have one practical and one classroom lesson per week. You will be assessed in your ability in your 4 strongest sporting activities (these may include sports you do out of school). The Non Examined Assessment (practical) is worth 60% of the GCSE. The other 40% is gained through an exam that covers topics such as the physical and mental demands of performance, training and diet.

Examination Board & Link: AQA GCSE PE (Ends Summer 2017)

GCSE PE Starting from September 2016

Course Overview

Students will develop knowledge and understanding of the key body systems and how they impact on health, fitness and performance in physical activity and sport.

Assessment Details

You will have a minimum of 1 classroom theory based lesson per week. Practically you will be assessed on your ability in your 3 strongest sporting activities (you should be performing to a club level in at least one sport outside of school).

The Non Examined Assessment or ‘practical’ is worth 40% of the GCSE (10% of this is a written assignment in which you reflect on your own performance).

The other 60% is gained through 2 exams that cover topics such as physiology and psychology of sport.

Examination Board & Link: AQA Specification from September 2016

Core Physical Education

Students will choose a strand of performance at the end of Year 9 that best fits their sporting and physical participation interests. All students will cover a health related fitness module as part of their ‘strand’ of activities. Leadership and officiating roles will be emphasised as well as participation and performance. The aim is for students to develop a habitual liking for exercise and physical movement with a view to adopting a lifelong participation choice.

A typical strand selection for KS4 Core PE is below:

table-02Useful Subject Links:

GCSE Bitesize PE

mypeexam.org

GCSE PE Revision World

GCSE PE Revision Flashcards

Quizlet AQA PE Revision

Subject Revision PE