The science department at Huntington School will have a curriculum which creates learners who will thrive in a changing world by giving them the knowledge to:
- Confidently and accurately work scientifically and solve scientific problems;
- Think creatively to overcome and tackle problems with resilience and an open mind-set;
- Appreciate and enjoy the uniqueness of science as a discipline;
- Seek further knowledge and skills independently, based upon a fascination of learning;
- Achieve great exam results that allow our students to progress to the next steps in their lives as scientifically informed citizens.
We will develop this in our students by:
- Using purposeful practical activities with an emphasis on understanding scientific ideas rather than participation.
- Highlighting the relevancy of science to the modern world.
- Assessing pupils starting points and their progress by using effective questioning.
- Creating a true multi- disciplinary approach to science where scientific skills are deployed confidently across all three sciences.
- Using guided practice and modelling to scaffold student’s problem solving abilities.
- Being reflective practitioners who constantly evaluate and improve our practice.